Advantages of LUX Sustainable Building Materials
There are many reasons to choose green materials for your building like steel over wood, fibre cement, vinyl, PVC and even aluminum;
- LUX is actually less expensive than wood when it is compared to premium grade Cedar or Walnut. This is especially evident when considering the lifecycle maintenance of building with wood (including staining, removing moss and dealing with insects). LUX green building materials effectively require no maintenance and will last a lifetime. Moss will wash right off, and LUX building products are impervious to insects and there is never a need to stain,
- Choosing to use green building materials like steel actually helps avoid further taxing the renewable wood resource system. Consider that the construction of a typical 2000 sq.ft. building, it would take between 40 to 50 trees (about an acre) compared to only six scrapped automobiles. 
- Consider the reality that some popular building siding choices such as fibre cement, vinyl and PVC cladding are simply not environmentally friendly green building materials. These building materials are not recyclable and will generally end their life cycle in a landfill.
- Very few building products can provide you with the level of flame protection as LUX Architectural Products. Even aluminum will melt well before the 24 Gauge Metal LUX is made from. LUX green building Products have a ZERO flame spread rating and a smoke index of only 5 out of 100.
- Steel is extremely durable and our KYNAR500 Paint (Polyvinylidene Fluoride) has exceptional wear and abrasion resistance. Our green building materials can stand up to virtually all-weather conditions including salt-spray, high heat and extreme cold without fading, cracking or chalking.
- LUX Architectural Products V-Groove Panel is sold in custom lengths from 4-24’ and in accordance with customer-supplied “cut sheets”. Competitor building products come in preset lengths often being 24’ long. This means costlier labour, more time on-site and worst of all, more material wastage which is both damaging to your budget and the environment. Ordering in according to a “cut sheet” means that you get exactly the building material you need for the exact specifications of your project. No wastage, no extraneous cutting, no downtime on-site – simply unpack and install.
- LEED Credits – there are a number of opportunities to pursue LEED credits when working with LUX building materials. From recycled content to Innovation in Design, there are multiple avenues to pursue with LUX Architectural Panel that could make your project greener. For more information please review the green building and LEED guidelines of the Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute http://cssbi.ca/sustainability/leed-v4
- The Recycled Content of our green building materials is 5% Pre-Consumer and 15-20% Post-Consumer with the documentation information required for LEED submittals.
The Steel Recycling Process
- Collection: Because of the comparatively high value of scrap metal, the process of collection is very different when compared to the collection of other recyclable materials. As a result, scrap metal is more likely to be sold to a scrap yard rather than sent to a landfill. Prompt scrap is metal that is leftover in the course of new product manufacturing and accounts for 50% of ferrous scrap metal.
- Sorting: The process of sorting scrap steel involves separating the material in the mixed multi-material waste stream. To achieve this, magnets and other sensors are used to aid the automated recycling operations.
- Processing: Next, the scrap steel is shredded to allow for further processing. Shredded metal can be melted down using much less energy.
- Melting: Once the scrap steel is processed into shredded metal, it is then melted in a large furnace. This takes a considerable amount of energy but is still much less compared to the energy required to produce steel from virgin raw materials. Depending on the size of the furnace, and the volume of metal, melting can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours.
- Purification: To ensure the final product is free of contaminants and of the highest quality, purification is instigated based on the type of metal being recycled.
- Solidifying: The melted, purified steel is then left to cool and solidify. Depending on its application, scrap steel is then formed into specific shapes to be used for production.
- Transportation: Once the steel is solidified, it is transported to various factories where they are used as raw material for the production of brand new LUX products.
 Jim Woods, Sustainability and Steel Construction. Steel Recycling Institute ©2007-2008. (http://www.sustainable-steel.org/susconst.html).