Advantages of LUX Sustainable Building Materials
There are many reasons to choose green building materials like steel over wood, fibre cement, vinyl, PVC and even aluminum;
- LUX is actually less expensive than wood when it is compared to premium grade Cedar or Walnut. This is especially evident when considering the lifecycle maintenance of wood (including staining, removing moss and dealing with insects). LUX green building materials effectively require no maintenance and will last a lifetime. Moss will wash right off, LUX is impervious to insects and there is never a need to stain, touch up or restore LUX Products.
- Choosing to use green building materials like steel actually helps avoid further taxing the renewable wood resource system. Consider that the construction of a typical 2000 sq.ft. home, it would take between 40 to 50 trees (about an acre) compared to only six scrapped automobiles. 
- Consider the reality that some popular siding choices such as fibre cement, vinyl and PVC cladding are simply not environmentally friendly green building materials. These materials are not recyclable and will generally end their life cycle in a landfill.
- Very few products can provide you with the type of Flame protection as LUX Architectural Products. Even aluminum will melt well before the 24 Gauge Metal LUX is made from. LUX green building Products have a ZERO flame spread rating and a smoke index of only 5 out of 100.
- Steel is extremely durable and our KYNAR500 Paint (Polyvinylidene Fluoride) has exceptional wear and abrasion resistance. Our green building materials can stand up to virtually all-weather conditions including salt-spray, high heat and extreme cold without fading, cracking or chalking.
- LUX Architectural Products V-Groove Panel is sold in custom lengths from 4-24’ and in accordance with customer-supplied “cut sheets”. Competitor products come in preset lengths often being 24’ long. This means costlier labour, more time on-site and worst of all, more green building material wastage which is both damaging to your budget and the environment. Ordering in according to a “cut sheet” means that you get exactly the material you need for the exact specifications of your project. No wastage, no extraneous cutting, no downtime on-site – simply unpack and install.
- LEED Credits – there are a number of opportunities to pursue LEED credits when working with LUX green building materials. From recycled content to Innovation in Design, there are multiple avenues to pursue with LUX Architectural Panel that could make your project greener. For more information please review the green building and LEED guidelines of the Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute http://cssbi.ca/sustainability/leed-v4
- The Recycled Content of our green building materials and steel is 5% Pre-Consumer and 15-20% Post-Consumer with the documentation information required for LEED submittals.
 Jim Woods, Sustainability and Steel Construction. Steel Recycling Institute ©2007-2008. (http://www.sustainable-steel.org/susconst.html).